Something to Do – Godly Play
Use the materials in your Godly Play at Home Lent kit to explore stories of God at home.
Activities start on Tuesday, February 16th with making a burlap banner. They continue with an Ash Wednesday story and puzzle, and then a weekly story about Jesus each Sunday in Lent. Find everything you need in your kit!
Click on each video below to find instructions and ideas.
Some Ways to Pray
In your Faith at Home kit is a booklet of Lenten Micropractices. These are small spiritual practices to try each day during Lent. Keep the booklet in a place where you and your child can look at it each day. Breakfast time would be great!
Want to receive a daily email with the practice of the day? You can go here to sign up. Lenten Micropractices Daily Email
Click below to download another copy of the guide.
Want more ways to pray? Find ideas ranging from short easy ones, to longer ones, for each week of Lent here: Playlists for Lent at Home
Something to Read
Here are some stories you might want to read during Lent from your Growing in God’s Love Story Bible. Most of these go along with the preaching texts for the day.
- 2/21: Healings and Miracles p. 249
- 2/28: Jesus Chooses Twelve Disciples p. 240
- 3/7: Jesus Heals a Woman and a Girl p. 252
- 3/14: Mary and Martha p. 232
- 3/21: Who Was Invited? Who Came? p. 222
- 3/28: Jesus Visits Jerusalem p.270
- 4/1: (Maundy Thursday) A Passover Meal p. 272
- 4/2: (Good Friday) Jesus Dies p. 274
- 4/4: Women at the Tomb p. 276 and Memory and Surprise p. 280
- 4/11: Thomas Wants to See p. 278
Something to Explore – Lent Gardens!
This Lent we will share an online interactive Lent Garden each week, created by friends in Foothills Presbytery (SC) and the Presbyterian Church of Canada. You and your child can explore Bible stories, music, crafts, and much more, together. Check back each Sunday in Lent for a new one.
This is the Lent Garden for the Second Sunday in Lent.
- Start by clicking on the bible on the park bench. With one click you will open up a collection of daily bible readings, children’s bible story readings, prayers, and questions to think about. Once you’ve shared these devotions, click around the rest of the garden to discover so much more.
- Each of the little library boxes behind the park bench (there may be one or two to click on each week) unlock one or two video recordings of a bible story read by a church leader for everyone to enjoy.
- The hanging flower basket will take you on a weekly adventure of garden musings and gardening ideas with Kristine O’Brien, an avid gardener and thoughtful minister.
- The guitar leaning against the tree sings out a brand new or much loved hymn or song that will connect you to our weekly bible stories and themes. You’ll want to sing along with all of these talented musicians.
- Are you feeling like going for a walk? Click on the wooden door and walk into a world of labyrinth visits, reflections and finger labyrinth opportunities.
- Is it time to be creative? The garden gnome reveals a simple craft idea that makes use of materials that you likely already have at home.
- And when it’s time for something to eat, click on the picnic basket for a new recipe or two to try out at home.